It takes hard work and determination to teach yourself to not use tobacco products when you're stressed, bored or drinking a morning cup of coffee. Face it, you've been using tobacco products for a long time. However, hundreds of people do quit - everyday. Quitting is a process and it can take several attempts. But hang in there ... YOU CAN DO THIS! And if you don't make it the first or second time that's okay. Never quit trying to quit!!!
- Stay focused on why you want to quit. Keep a list of reasons. Refer to it and update as needed.
- Set a quit date. Make a tobacco cessation appointment.
- Get support. Let your family, friends and co-workers know how important it is to you to be healthy. Join an on-line program, such as, www.ucanquit2.org
- Resist the urge. Carry hard candies, chew on toothpicks. Do an activity - crossword puzzle, cell phone game, go for a short walk. Remember, most cravings only last 3-5 minutes.
- Prepare for challenges. Come up with plans to avoid relapse. Practice what you'll say if someone offers you tobacco.
Washington's Tobacco Quit Line offers FREE one-to-one counseling and customized quitting plans over the phone.
- English 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
- Spanish 1-877-2 NO-FUME (1-800-266-3863)
- TTY 1-877-777-6534
Pregnant? Washington has a cessation program "Quit for You. Quit for Two". Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW
TRICARE Quit Line - All non-Medicare eligible TRICARE beneficiaries can receive tobacco cessation assistance by calling their toll-free quitline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. Call 1-866-244-6870
||MADIGAN CLINIC PROGRAMS
|Quit tobacco. Make everyone proud.
Become an Ex
For "Cold Turkey" quitters
Family Medicine Patients: 968-2637/6512
Okubo Clinic Patients: 966-7547
Winder Clinic: sign-up inside at the "Specialty Clinic"
All other patients: 1-800-404-4506
CHECK OUT THE LINKS ON THE LEFT FOR
ADDITIONAL HEALTH INFORMATION!
For Unit training contact Army Public Health Nursing: 968-4382
Bldg 9040 Fitzsimmons Drive Tacoma, WA 98431 Directory assistance: (253) 968-1110 DSN: 782-1110